org.apache.ignite.IgniteException: Invalid message type: -84 on startup

bzlat bzlat

org.apache.ignite.IgniteException: Invalid message type: -84 on startup

Hi all,

I'm experimenting with Apache Ignite for the last couple of days. Today I started getting this exception at node startup (full log output is attached) and I can't figure out what's causing it:

SEVERE: Caught unhandled exception in NIO worker thread (restart the node).
class org.apache.ignite.IgniteException: Invalid message type: -84
        at org.apache.ignite.internal.managers.communication.GridIoMessageFactory.create(GridIoMessageFactory.java:625)

Ignite version: Ignite ver. 1.2.0-incubating#20150616-sha1:9fb960ffdc959e7323cdeb5e1c024171865d8fc6
Java version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 1.7.0_80-b15 Oracle Corporation Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 24.80-b11
OS version: Mac OS X 10.10.4 x86_64
Code to reproduce: see the attached TestNG file

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Bogdan Zlatanov

IgniteVerboseOutput_IgniteException.txt
IgniteServerTest.java

Re: org.apache.ignite.IgniteException: Invalid message type: -84 on startup

Hi Bogdan,

I see that there is only one node in topology, but it receives something from network, which looks weird. Is it possible that some other process (not Ignite) writes to Ignite's port?

-Val
bzlat bzlat

Re: org.apache.ignite.IgniteException: Invalid message type: -84 on startup

Hi Val,

You are right. I had another node running inside a VM. As soon as I stopped it, things got back to normal. It's still interesting to me what could cause invalid message types to be sent between nodes?

-Bogdan

Re: org.apache.ignite.IgniteException: Invalid message type: -84 on startup

Bogdan,

This exception actually means that some random sequence of bytes came to the node's port. I'm not sure how this could happen - nodes that do not discover each other should not send messages to each other and also they go through handshake first to make sure that there is no alien process connecting to Ignite.

Do you have, by chance, logs from that second node?

-Val
bzlat bzlat

Re: org.apache.ignite.IgniteException: Invalid message type: -84 on startup

Val,

Unfortunately I didn't keep the logs from the second node. I will try to misconfigure my VM in the same way and reproduce the issue between the two instances this weekend. Then I could provide you with more info.

-Bogdan