Work Directory Usage with Persistence Disabled

Mitchell Rathbun (BLOOMBERG/ 731 LEX) Mitchell Rathbun (BLOOMBERG/ 731 LEX)

Work Directory Usage with Persistence Disabled

In the documentation, Ignite is described as a pure in-memory solution when persistence is disabled. However, even with persistence disabled, I am noticing that the Ignite work directory must be set to an existing directory, and that this directory has the 'marshaller/' directory created with files written to it. Why is this needed if persistence is off? Is there anyway to avoid writing to the file system completely?
akurbanov akurbanov

Re: Work Directory Usage with Persistence Disabled

Hello Mitchell,

Currently the metainformation will be stored on disk with disabled
persistence. This is a good question for a discussion on dev list, I would
suggest doing so, or I will do it a bit later after a bit of thought.

I would also try to set working directory to tmpfs, this might be a
compromise solution.

Best regards,
Anton

Re: Work Directory Usage with Persistence Disabled

Hello Mitchell,

Ignite saves there classes of objects which your application puts in caches or executes as compute tasks. For instance, if you put a MyObject instance in a cache, then Ignite will persist the info about MyObject in the marshaller directory and then will be able to deserialize this object whenever your application reads in from the cache.

-
Denis