When will Apache Ignite support Java 11?

monstereo monstereo

When will Apache Ignite support Java 11?

Is there any plan to support Java 11 for Apache Ignite?

If the next version of the Apache Ignite (2.7) will support Java 11, when it
will be released?

Petr Ivanov Petr Ivanov

Re: When will Apache Ignite support Java 11?

Hi!

Full Java 9+ support is planned for 2.8 at least.
Currently it will work more or less on Java9. Java10/11 work is not guaranteed.

> On 22 Nov 2018, at 21:22, monstereo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is there any plan to support Java 11 for Apache Ignite?
>
> If the next version of the Apache Ignite (2.7) will support Java 11, when it
> will be released?

Loredana Radulescu Ivanoff Loredana Radulescu Ivanoff

Re: When will Apache Ignite support Java 11?

Hello,

The current plan is that Oracle will stop updates for Java 8 commercial users after January 2019, and Java 11 is the next LTS release, so is there a plan to have Ignite working with Java 11 by then?

Thank you.

On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 10:49 PM Petr Ivanov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi!

Full Java 9+ support is planned for 2.8 at least.
Currently it will work more or less on Java9. Java10/11 work is not guaranteed.

> On 22 Nov 2018, at 21:22, monstereo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is there any plan to support Java 11 for Apache Ignite?
>
> If the next version of the Apache Ignite (2.7) will support Java 11, when it
> will be released?

Stanislav Lukyanov Stanislav Lukyanov

RE: When will Apache Ignite support Java 11?

The support for Java 9 *should* mean support for Java 11, the compatibility gap between the two is not big.

Moreover, I would (and going to) push for almost completely skipping the testing on Java 9 – it is

in end-of-life already, so providing support for it is kind of pointless. Java 11 is what should be supported by Ignite 2.8.

That said, I honestly don’t see everyone jumping from the Java 8 train any time soon.

Gap between 8 and 9+ (although not to big in reality) still makes people stay on 8,

and Oracle’s competitors are ready to offer alternative support.

So, I’d say that Java 8 is still going to be the main target for at least Ignite 2.8.

But this is all just a speculation for now as no plans were set in stone yet.

Stay tuned at [hidden email].

Stan

The current plan is that Oracle will stop updates for Java 8 commercial users after January 2019, and Java 11 is the next LTS release, so is there a plan to have Ignite working with Java 11 by then?

Thank you.

On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 10:49 PM Petr Ivanov <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi!

Full Java 9+ support is planned for 2.8 at least.
Currently it will work more or less on Java9. Java10/11 work is not guaranteed.

> On 22 Nov 2018, at 21:22, monstereo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is there any plan to support Java 11 for Apache Ignite?
>
> If the next version of the Apache Ignite (2.7) will support Java 11, when it
> will be released?

Gianluca Bonetti Gianluca Bonetti

Re: When will Apache Ignite support Java 11?

Hello Loredana

You can switch to OpenJDK 8, which would be supported also for security updates by all the major Linux distribution.
OpenJDK is production ready since years, actually Oracle's JDK is now a build of OpenJDK, with some additions.

Cheers
Gianluca

Il giorno lun 3 dic 2018 alle ore 21:17 Stanislav Lukyanov <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

The support for Java 9 *should* mean support for Java 11, the compatibility gap between the two is not big.

Moreover, I would (and going to) push for almost completely skipping the testing on Java 9 – it is

in end-of-life already, so providing support for it is kind of pointless. Java 11 is what should be supported by Ignite 2.8.

That said, I honestly don’t see everyone jumping from the Java 8 train any time soon.

Gap between 8 and 9+ (although not to big in reality) still makes people stay on 8,

and Oracle’s competitors are ready to offer alternative support.

So, I’d say that Java 8 is still going to be the main target for at least Ignite 2.8.

But this is all just a speculation for now as no plans were set in stone yet.

Stay tuned at [hidden email].

Stan

The current plan is that Oracle will stop updates for Java 8 commercial users after January 2019, and Java 11 is the next LTS release, so is there a plan to have Ignite working with Java 11 by then?

Thank you.

On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 10:49 PM Petr Ivanov <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi!

Full Java 9+ support is planned for 2.8 at least.
Currently it will work more or less on Java9. Java10/11 work is not guaranteed.

> On 22 Nov 2018, at 21:22, monstereo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is there any plan to support Java 11 for Apache Ignite?
>
> If the next version of the Apache Ignite (2.7) will support Java 11, when it
> will be released?

Kamil Mišúth Kamil Mišúth

Re: When will Apache Ignite support Java 11?

Java 11 is technically not an LTS release. Java 11 is the next LTS
release only for Oracle customers on "Premier Support".
Organizations not willing to pay for "Premier support" will need to
track OpenJDK. There is no notion of LTS in OpenJDK.
That means there is no free LTS for Java (11 and above) anymore. As soon
as Java 12 is out, all organizations tracking OpenJDK are expected to
migrate to Java 12 to get the security fixes.

In past months, some companies expressed their will to provide LTS
releases with security bugfixes and backports free of charge but as far
as I can recall, there was no definite answer yet.
That being said, companies like Red Hat and Azul systems did this for
many years for older Java SE releases (6 and 7).
I think we will learn in few months time which of Azul, Red Hat/IBM,
Amazon or Google will step up and start to provide binary LTS releases
for major OS platforms.

Kamil Mišúth

On 2018-11-26 19:15, Loredana Radulescu Ivanoff wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The current plan is that Oracle will stop updates for Java 8
> commercial users after January 2019, and Java 11 is the next LTS
> release, so is there a plan to have Ignite working with Java 11 by
> then?
>
> Thank you.
>
> On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 10:49 PM Petr Ivanov <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Full Java 9+ support is planned for 2.8 at least.
>> Currently it will work more or less on Java9. Java10/11 work is not
>> guaranteed.
>>
>>> On 22 Nov 2018, at 21:22, monstereo <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there any plan to support Java 11 for Apache Ignite?
>>>
>>> If the next version of the Apache Ignite (2.7) will support Java
>> 11, when it
>>> will be released?

>>> Sent from: http://apache-ignite-users.70518.x6.nabble.com/
zaleslaw zaleslaw

Re: When will Apache Ignite support Java 11?

A lot of answers here, but I'll put my 5 cents here.

I'm going to test different Ignite modules like SQL, Core, ML, Streaming
with Liberica JDK, Amazon Coretto and another JDKs based on OpenJDK
personally.

If I found any critical things, I post them tp the user or dev list.