What does SPI stand for?

nickg nickg

What does SPI stand for?

Maybe this is blindingly obvious to others, but I can't seem to find reference to what SPI stands for?
http://apacheignite.gridgain.org/v1.1/docs/cluster-config

e.g. org.apache.ignite.spi.discovery.tcp.TcpDiscoverySpi

Shared/Server/Socket/? ... Protocol/Port/?... Identifier/Interface/??....

Can someone enlighten me please? (Thanks)
alexey.goncharuk alexey.goncharuk

Re: What does SPI stand for?

Hi,

SPI stands for Service Provider Interface. In Ignite it is an isolated abstracted component which can be plugged in to provide new or replace/extend existing functionality.

For example, you can implement your own CollisionSPI to control how ComputeJobs are scheduled on a local node, or extend TcpCommunicationSpi to add compression to communication layer.

Please refer to IgniteSPI javadoc and it's various implementations for further details.

​Hope this helps,
-- AG