Upgrading from 1.9 .... need help

javastuff.sam@gmail.com javastuff.sam@gmail.com

Upgrading from 1.9 .... need help

Hi,

We are using Ignite 1.9 OffHeapCache with swap space disabled, we have about
80 different caches, all are defined programmatically. Some have the expiry,
some have eviction policy.

We are trying to upgrade to 2.6 and need help -

1. Many API from 1.9 is no longer supported or deprecated in 2.6?
Example - cache configuration no longer seems to have the ability to define
EvictionPolicy, startSize, offHeapMaxMemory, swap space disable. Most of
these settings are available on Data Region instead, does that mean each
cache needs to be defined as a separate data region to have that kind of
control? We tried to do same by defining data region programmatically and
use that region while programmatic cache definition, however, it fails with
data region not found.

2. What strategy or best practice to be used for defining data region?
Should we use data region to group then based on usecase or volatility or
other aspects? In that case how to control size for each type of cache?

Thanks,
-Sam

Re: Upgrading from 1.9 .... need help

Hello!

I don't think you can start a new data region dynamically. This means that you need to think out all the data regions in advance.

Note that it highly adviced to never hit the limit of data region by getting IgniteOutOfMemory. You would need to use some other means to limit sizes of your caches. This will also mean that you don't need that many data regions.

ср, 14 нояб. 2018 г. в 23:02, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>:
[...]

Hello Ilya,

Can you please elaborate on "You would need to use some other means to limit
sizes of your caches"?

Are there any guidelines or best practices for defining data region?

Thanks,
-Sam

Re: Upgrading from 1.9 .... need help

Hello Sam,

It's totally fine to have a single data region for all of your caches. That's a default behavior.

Usually, you create several data regions to fine-tune memory usage by certain caches. For instance, you can have region A which consumes 20% of RAM available persisting 100% in Ignite persistence, another region B might be allocated 80% of RAM and it won't persist data at all.

Denis