Topology Specification INI

jonathonbell jonathonbell

Topology Specification INI

The online help within the visor management console (ignitevisorcmd.sh) mentions that the start command can take a -f=<path> argument specifying a 'topology specification' INI file.

Where can i read / learn more about the format of this file please?

Regards,

jonathon
Andrey Novikov Andrey Novikov

Re: Topology Specification INI

jonathon,
As example of specification you may use this file: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-ignite.git;a=blob;f=modules/core/src/test/config/start-nodes.ini;h=19a4a0a0c3ab34ffa79a3da85c0030bea446a3aa;hb=HEAD

[host1] - section with settings for host 1
host=192.168.1.1 - ip address or host name
port=22 - ssh port
uname=uname1 - ssh login
passwd=passwd1 - ssh password
key=key1 - ssh key path
nodes=1 - start node count
igniteHome=ggHome1 - ignite home path
cfg=cfg1 - ignite config path
script=script1 - ignite node start script

[defaults] - special section with default settings
jonathonbell jonathonbell

Re: Topology Specification INI

Thanks for the quick response.

Now for some followup questions :-)

1) where can i learn more more about the various parameters that can be specified in the grid configuration xml file? (files such as examples/config/ignite.xml?) . How do is specify the 'grid name', for example, that shows up in the 'visor' console?

2) i have not yet been able to 'start' a node up from within the visor console (although if start nodes up manually form the command line, the visor console does see them on the grid). For example, if i try:

  visor> open -cpath=examples/config/example.xml
  visor> start -h=locahost -u=<myname> -pw=<mypwd> -n=3

i see:

+-------------------------------+
| Successful start attempts | 3 |
| Failed start attempts     | 0 |
+-------------------------------+

Type 'top' to see current topology.

NOTE:
    - Successful start attempt DOES NOT mean that node actually started.
    - For large topologies (> 100s nodes) it can take over 10 minutes for all nodes to start.
    - See individual node log for details.

which looks promising, but then:

visor> top
Empty topology.

What am i doing wrong?

Cheers,

jonathon

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 2:17 AM, anovikov <[hidden email]> wrote:
jonathon,
As example of specification you may use this file:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-ignite.git;a=blob;f=modules/core/src/test/config/start-nodes.ini;h=19a4a0a0c3ab34ffa79a3da85c0030bea446a3aa;hb=HEAD

[host1] - section with settings for host 1
host=192.168.1.1 - ip address or host name
port=22 - ssh port
uname=uname1 - ssh login
passwd=passwd1 - ssh password
key=key1 - ssh key path
nodes=1 - start node count
igniteHome=ggHome1 - ignite home path
cfg=cfg1 - ignite config path
script=script1 - ignite node start script

[defaults] - special section with default settings

Artem Shutak Artem Shutak

Re: Topology Specification INI

Hi,

1. I think, javadoc for IgniteConfiguration is a good place to read about all possible paramethers.
2. Can you provide more information:
- ini-file configuration
- ignite configuration (like your ignite.xml)
- full log from start console
- also, I expect, that you should see logs of started nodes at 'ignite-startNodes' directory (under home directory by default) on hosts, which described in ini-file.

Thanks,
Artem.
dsetrakyan dsetrakyan

Re: Topology Specification INI

Artem,

Have you had a chance to confirm that visor command line utility can successfully discovery the nodes in the topology?

Also, if you could add a sample INI file to the Ignite documentation, I think it will help our users going forward.

Thanks!
D.
jonathonbell jonathonbell

Re: Topology Specification INI

Artem,

Thanks for your help.

my ignite.xml :
ignite.xml

ini file :
none yet; i'm still trying to start a node directly from the visor command line with the 'start' command. once i can do this, i will then try using a -f topology file...

full log form start console:

~/Work/Eclipse/loader>ignitevisorcmd
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: ignoring option MaxPermSize=128M; support was removed in 8.0
___    _________________________ ________
__ |  / /____  _/__  ___/__  __ \___  __ \
__ | / /  __  /  _____ \ _  / / /__  /_/ /
__ |/ /  __/ /   ____/ / / /_/ / _  _, _/
_____/   /___/   /____/  \____/  /_/ |_|

ADMIN CONSOLE
2015 Copyright(C) Apache Software Foundation

+----------------------------+
| Status      | Disconnected |
| Grid name   | <n/a>        |
| Config path | <n/a>        |
| Uptime      | <n/a>        |
+----------------------------+

Type 'help' for more information.
Type 'open' to join the grid.
Type 'quit' to quit form Visor console.

visor> open -cpath=ignite.xml
Jun 16, 2015 12:34:31 PM org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.XmlBeanDefinitionReader loadBeanDefinitions
INFO: Loading XML bean definitions from URL [file:/Users/jbell/Work/Eclipse/loader/ignite.xml]
Jun 16, 2015 12:34:31 PM org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext prepareRefresh
INFO: Refreshing org.springframework.context.support.GenericApplicationContext@78e117e3: startup date [Tue Jun 16 12:34:31 EDT 2015]; root of context hierarchy

Some useful commands:
| Type 'top'    | to see full topology.      |
| Type 'node'   | to see node statistics.    |
| Type 'cache'  | to see cache statistics.   |
| Type 'tasks'  | to see tasks statistics.   |
| Type 'config' | to see node configuration. |

Type 'help' to get help.

+--------------------------+
| Status      | Connected  |
| Grid name   | FOO        |
| Config path | ignite.xml |
| Uptime      | 00:00:00   |
+--------------------------+
visor> [12:34:41] New version is available at ignite.incubator.apache.org: 1.1.0-incubator
start
visor> start -h=localhost -u=jbell -pw=<password for account jbell> -n=2
+-------------------------------+
| Successful start attempts | 2 |
| Failed start attempts     | 0 |
+-------------------------------+

Type 'top' to see current topology.

NOTE:
    - Successful start attempt DOES NOT mean that node actually started.
    - For large topologies (> 100s nodes) it can take over 10 minutes for all nodes to start.
    - See individual node log for details.
visor> top
Empty topology.
visor>

hope this helps...
jonathon
Artem Shutak Artem Shutak

Re: Topology Specification INI

1. I think you have discovery issue here.

open -cpath=ignite.xml  - starts demon visor node with TcpDiscoveryVmIpFinder.
start -h=localhost -u=jbell -pw=<password for account jbell> -n=2 - starts 2 node on localhost with default config, which use TcpDiscoveryMulticastIpFinder.

So, 2 started nodes cannot find visor node, so. I think, you forgot to specify config when you started 2 nodes. You can do it by -cfg. In your case:

start -cfg=ignite.xml -h=localhost -u=jbell -pw=<password for account jbell> -n=2.

As I said before, you can see logs of 2 started nodes at $TMP/ignite-startNodes or at $home/ignite-startNodes.

2. About ini file. Ini-file example can be found here now https://github.com/apache/incubator-ignite/blob/master/modules/core/src/test/config/start-nodes.ini.

Thanks,
Artem.
jonathonbell jonathonbell

Re: Topology Specification INI

Thank you, Artem, but this is still not working for me...

Note that i am working on an Apple Mac.

1) i don't see a $home/ignite-startNodes directory, nor a $TMP/ignite-startNodes directory.
2) i created a ~/ignite-startNodes directory but it remains empty.
3) I notice that successful node startups (those spawned by my manually running the ignite command form a terminal) create log files in the directory:
   $IGNITE_HOME/work/log
but when my attempt to start a node from within visor (as described above) fails, no log file is left behind in this directory either.
4) i tried copying my ignite.xml config into the the default-config.xml file located int he $IGNITE_HOME/config directory in the hope that nodes started form within visor would find it and so use the same config file as visor itself, but,...no dice.
5) i tried supplying this default file to visor in its open command too...still no luck.
6) and finally, i tried having both visor and the nodes being started using the original default config file supplied with ignite...still no luck.
7) and another question: how does one specify
 a) where the 'work' directory should be created, and
 b) where to place the log files.

Many thanks, as always,

Jonathon

Artem Shutak Artem Shutak

Re: Topology Specification INI

1. Try to see at ignite-startNodes under $TMPDIR and /tmp/.

But recheck it at $home/ignite-startNodes of user 'jbell' (from which you do ssh).

2. Ignite will create ignite-startNodes directory automatically, i have not to care about it.

3. As long as you don't see any logs I think you have problems with ssh. Please, recheck that you can ssh on localhost with your credentials.

4. I've done next simple steps which works for me:

open -cpath=config/default-config.xml

start -h=localhost -u=<ssh_uname> -pw=<ssh_pwd> -n=2 -cfg=config/default-config.xml -s=<FULL_IGNITE_HOME>/bin/ignite.sh

It should work if you have right configured ssh.

Actually,

| Successful start attempts | 2 |
| Failed start attempts     | 0 |

does not mean that nodes were really started. It should be clear in this place.

I've created ticket on it: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-1023.

Thanks,
Artem.