Questions on transitioning from GridGain to Ignite

Vinay B, Vinay B,

Questions on transitioning from GridGain to Ignite

Hi,
We've used Gridgain for a while now, mostly for job distribution. It's been a while since we upgraded and as a result, we currently run the open source edition of gridgain (V 6.2.1)

Since Gridgain community is now part of the Apache ecosystem, what are the best practices /concerns we will need to address to bring our grid enabled code up to date?

Specifically,
1. I'm assuming we would need to change our maven targets to point to the appropriate ignite 1.3.3 (or latest) group / artifacts. See http://www.gridgain.com/download/editions/

2. What is the general scope of the packaging changes? Does (in general), org.gridgain translate to org.apache.ignite(and similar) or has there been a total overhaul / refactir of class names?

3. Likewise, for the grid configuration Spring / XML files ?

4. Is there a migration / upgrade document available?

5. It looks like Ignite should support the GridGain functionality that we use (and much more).

Is there anything else worth mentioning that we should note before committing to the upgrade. It looks like Java 7 is still supported.

Thanks

Re: Questions on transitioning from GridGain to Ignite

Hi Vinay,

My answers are inline...

-Val

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 11:31 AM, Vinay B, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
We've used Gridgain for a while now, mostly for job distribution. It's been a while since we upgraded and as a result, we currently run the open source edition of gridgain (V 6.2.1)

Since Gridgain community is now part of the Apache ecosystem, what are the best practices /concerns we will need to address to bring our grid enabled code up to date?

It sounds like you mostly used GridCompute API. If so, you should switch to IgniteCompute [1], which is pretty much the same. The only major difference is that node projections were replaced with cluster groups [2], which is a more lightweight concept. Now you just acquire IgniteCompute instance for a specific group of nodes and use this instance to execute tasks on these nodes.

Specifically,
1. I'm assuming we would need to change our maven targets to point to the appropriate ignite 1.3.3 (or latest) group / artifacts. See http://www.gridgain.com/download/editions/

That's right. New group ID for all artifacts is org.apache.ignite. Artifact IDs are ignite-xxx - the set of modules is the same as it was in GridGain 6.x with couple new ones.

2. What is the general scope of the packaging changes? Does (in general), org.gridgain translate to org.apache.ignite(and similar) or has there been a total overhaul / refactir of class names?

It depends on what APIs are you using. E.g., cache and query APIs had a lot of changes, while compute API, as I already mentioned, stayed almost the same.

3. Likewise, for the grid configuration Spring / XML files ?

In general, GridConfiguration was replaced with IgniteConfiguration and GridCacheConfiguration was replaced with CacheConfiguration. Most of the properties are the same, but there were some additions and renamings. I would change class names first and see if it works, then fix any discrepancies.

4. Is there a migration / upgrade document available?

We don't have such a document because the migration process differs from one use case to another. I think the best way is to refactor package and class names first (e.g., use Ignite instead of Grid, IgniteCache instead of GridCache, etc.) and then go through the code that does not compile. You will probably have to refer to corresponding documentation pages to see how particular API looks like in Ignite.

5. It looks like Ignite should support the GridGain functionality that we use (and much more).

That's right. Everything that was supported in 6.x is available in Ignite.

Is there anything else worth mentioning that we should note before committing to the upgrade. It looks like Java 7 is still supported.

This is also true. Both Java 7 and 8 are supported.

Thanks

Vinay B, Vinay B,

dsetrakyan dsetrakyan

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 4:48 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Good stuff. This should be in a FAQ

Good point! We should add an FAQ session and add some of these answers there.