Native persistence and upgrading

Paulus de B. Paulus de B.

Native persistence and upgrading

Hi, does anyone know if e.g. version 2.3 will be able to read 2.2 persisted
data (Ignite native persistence)? Will this be true for future releases as
well?

Dmitry Pavlov Dmitry Pavlov

Re: Native persistence and upgrading

Hi,

Ignite will be able to read data.

Community decided to maintain backward compatibilty of persistent store at least for minor versions. Also there are several tests checking this compatiblity.

Sincerely,
Dmitriy Pavlov

пн, 30 окт. 2017 г. в 14:49, Paulus de B. <[hidden email]>:
Hi, does anyone know if e.g. version 2.3 will be able to read 2.2 persisted
data (Ignite native persistence)? Will this be true for future releases as
well?

xero xero

Re: Native persistence and upgrading

Hi Dimitry and community,
Is this still true? My intention is to do it between versions 2.7.6 and
2.8.1/2.9. Basically, I want to only update the docker image keeping the
volumes so that I can recover the persisted data. I couldn't find
documentation regarding this topic.

On the other hand, release_2.9 introduced Cluster Snapshots. Are these
snapshots version agnostic? or there are some considerations regarding which
versions are compatible with the created snapshot? Could this be an
alternative to solve my issue (upgrading without losing the persisted data)?

Thanks in advance for the time.

Stanislav Lukyanov Stanislav Lukyanov

Re: Native persistence and upgrading

Yes, you can upgrade from an older version to a newer one and keep the data, it will just work.
You don't really need snapshots for that, although I assume snapshots would also work.

> On 10 Dec 2020, at 16:20, xero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Dimitry and community,
> Is this still true? My intention is to do it between versions 2.7.6 and
> 2.8.1/2.9. Basically, I want to only update the docker image keeping the
> volumes so that I can recover the persisted data. I couldn't find
> documentation regarding this topic.
>
> On the other hand, release_2.9 introduced Cluster Snapshots. Are these
> snapshots version agnostic? or there are some considerations regarding which
> versions are compatible with the created snapshot? Could this be an
> alternative to solve my issue (upgrading without losing the persisted data)?
>
> Thanks in advance for the time.

xero xero

Re: Native persistence and upgrading

Thanks for the confirmation Stanislav. Is this compatibility kept between
minors as a commitment from the team or is it just specific to the versions
I mentioned?
If this is a backward compatibility feature that you have intentions to
maintain, I think it's worth mentioning that in the documentation because is
a great feature.

Thank you

Re: Native persistence and upgrading

Hello!

All of 2.x are compatible, meaning you can upgrade from 2.x to 2.y, y > x, while keeping your persistence files.

Yes, I think we should document this somewhere: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-13851