Memory is not going down after cache.clean()

davida davida

Memory is not going down after cache.clean()

This post was updated on .
Apache Ignite.NET  v2.2.

The memory consumption stays high even after all entries are deleted from
cache. I was expecting it to drop but that practically is not happening
(i.e. after populating the data, the process uses ~5GB memory). After
deletion it became ~4.89GB).

Is this expected behavior?
Are there any ways to reduce memory consumption (except what is defined in Performance Tips section of official docs) ?

Thanks.

dkarachentsev dkarachentsev

Re: Memory is not going down after cache.clean()

Hi,

Ignite can only increase memory consumption, there are no ways to reduce it.
Practically it's not needed, because it's enough just to set desired memory
size, and if persistence enabled - swap data to disk, when this limit was
hit.

Thanks!
-Dmitry.

davida davida

Re: Memory is not going down after cache.clean()

Thanks Dmitry,

Is it possible to limit the maximum memory size, if maxSize is configured
with memory policies for a cache without persistence ?

Re: Memory is not going down after cache.clean()

Yes, maxSize parameter always limits amount of space available for an Ignite node in RAM (doesn’t matter whether you use persistence or not).

Denis

On Sep 1, 2017, at 2:19 PM, davida <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks Dmitry,

Is it possible to limit the maximum memory size, if maxSize is configured
with memory policies for a cache without persistence ?

davida davida

Re: Memory is not going down after cache.clean()

Thanks Denis
dkarachentsev dkarachentsev

Re: Memory is not going down after cache.clean()

Hi,

Just to clarify my words a bit. When persistence is enabled, all memory data
are stored on disk with all durability guarantees. But it is also allows you
to store in cache more data than you can fit in memory: Ignite just evicts
stale data pages from RAM, and when they will be needed - loaded from disk.

So you always have everything on hard drive and hot data in memory.

Thanks!
-Dmitry.

dsetrakyan dsetrakyan

On Sun, Sep 3, 2017 at 12:35 AM, dkarachentsev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Just to clarify my words a bit. When persistence is enabled, all memory data
are stored on disk with all durability guarantees. But it is also allows you
to store in cache more data than you can fit in memory: Ignite just evicts
stale data pages from RAM, and when they will be needed - loaded from disk.

So you always have everything on hard drive and hot data in memory.

Let me clarify a bit more. When Ignite persistence is enabled, all the data gets persisted to disk. If the data size exceeds the pre-configured memory size, then Ignite will start purging the cold pages and will only keep the hot data in memory.