Ignite with Scala

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Nikita Ivanov Nikita Ivanov
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ignite with Scala

Igniters, 
Wanted to ask if you are using Ignite with Scala. I'm having some thoughts on improving our Scalar DSL for Ignite - and would love to hear some real-life feedback and suggestions. 

Please let me know if you, or anyone you know, use Ignite with Scala. 

Thanks!
--
Nikita Ivanov

Konstantin Boudnik Konstantin Boudnik
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ignite with Scala

I guess it isn't helping, but the only person who uses Scala and I still am
talking to on a regular basis is you ;) The rest of them are scratched from my
phone book.

Cos

On Thu, Aug 06, 2015 at 09:38AM, Nikita Ivanov wrote:

> Igniters,
> Wanted to ask if you are using Ignite with Scala. I'm having some thoughts
> on improving our Scalar DSL for Ignite - and would love to hear some
> real-life feedback and suggestions.
>
> Please let me know if you, or anyone you know, use Ignite with Scala.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Nikita Ivanov

Ognen Duzlevski Ognen Duzlevski
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ignite with Scala

Hey! That's not nice ;)

I use Scala. My feedback is that right now scalar is pretty unusable. I am using the Java API from scala.

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 3:51 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <[hidden email]> wrote:
I guess it isn't helping, but the only person who uses Scala and I still am
talking to on a regular basis is you ;) The rest of them are scratched from my
phone book.

Cos

On Thu, Aug 06, 2015 at 09:38AM, Nikita Ivanov wrote:
> Igniters,
> Wanted to ask if you are using Ignite with Scala. I'm having some thoughts
> on improving our Scalar DSL for Ignite - and would love to hear some
> real-life feedback and suggestions.
>
> Please let me know if you, or anyone you know, use Ignite with Scala.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Nikita Ivanov


Konstantin Boudnik Konstantin Boudnik
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ignite with Scala

On Thu, Aug 06, 2015 at 04:19PM, Ognen Duzlevski wrote:
> Hey! That's not nice ;)

Actually, it's quite nice - I didn't call anyone any names, right? I just said that
I don't befriend people who use Scale - that's all ;)

Sorry, I will stop polluting this thread.
  Cos

> I use Scala. My feedback is that right now scalar is pretty unusable. I am
> using the Java API from scala.
>
> On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 3:51 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I guess it isn't helping, but the only person who uses Scala and I still am
> > talking to on a regular basis is you ;) The rest of them are scratched
> > from my
> > phone book.
> >
> > Cos
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 06, 2015 at 09:38AM, Nikita Ivanov wrote:
> > > Igniters,
> > > Wanted to ask if you are using Ignite with Scala. I'm having some
> > thoughts
> > > on improving our Scalar DSL for Ignite - and would love to hear some
> > > real-life feedback and suggestions.
> > >
> > > Please let me know if you, or anyone you know, use Ignite with Scala.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > --
> > > Nikita Ivanov
> >
> >

Nikita Ivanov Nikita Ivanov
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ignite with Scala

In reply to this post by Ognen Duzlevski
Ognen,
[ignore our beloved mentor Cos - one day he will realize the countless errors of his ways... :)]

If that's not too much to ask - do you have any thoughts on what would you like to see in a Scala DSL for Ignite? I'm on the record saying that Ignite (its Java APIs) can be used pretty much as-is from Scala - but may be it's just me and I'm missing something. Any feedback, thoughts, comments would be hugely welcome. 

Thanks!
--
Nikita Ivanov


On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 2:19 PM, Ognen Duzlevski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey! That's not nice ;)

I use Scala. My feedback is that right now scalar is pretty unusable. I am using the Java API from scala.

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 3:51 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <[hidden email]> wrote:
I guess it isn't helping, but the only person who uses Scala and I still am
talking to on a regular basis is you ;) The rest of them are scratched from my
phone book.

Cos

On Thu, Aug 06, 2015 at 09:38AM, Nikita Ivanov wrote:
> Igniters,
> Wanted to ask if you are using Ignite with Scala. I'm having some thoughts
> on improving our Scalar DSL for Ignite - and would love to hear some
> real-life feedback and suggestions.
>
> Please let me know if you, or anyone you know, use Ignite with Scala.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Nikita Ivanov



javadba javadba
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ignite with Scala


I kind of second Nikita:  no problem to use Ignite API's from scala.  And I do not second Konstantin.  If he likes java better than scala that's his issue.

2015-08-06 14:30 GMT-07:00 Nikita Ivanov <[hidden email]>:
Ognen,
[ignore our beloved mentor Cos - one day he will realize the countless errors of his ways... :)]

If that's not too much to ask - do you have any thoughts on what would you like to see in a Scala DSL for Ignite? I'm on the record saying that Ignite (its Java APIs) can be used pretty much as-is from Scala - but may be it's just me and I'm missing something. Any feedback, thoughts, comments would be hugely welcome. 

Thanks!
--
Nikita Ivanov


On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 2:19 PM, Ognen Duzlevski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey! That's not nice ;)

I use Scala. My feedback is that right now scalar is pretty unusable. I am using the Java API from scala.

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 3:51 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <[hidden email]> wrote:
I guess it isn't helping, but the only person who uses Scala and I still am
talking to on a regular basis is you ;) The rest of them are scratched from my
phone book.

Cos

On Thu, Aug 06, 2015 at 09:38AM, Nikita Ivanov wrote:
> Igniters,
> Wanted to ask if you are using Ignite with Scala. I'm having some thoughts
> on improving our Scalar DSL for Ignite - and would love to hear some
> real-life feedback and suggestions.
>
> Please let me know if you, or anyone you know, use Ignite with Scala.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Nikita Ivanov




Ognen Duzlevski Ognen Duzlevski
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ignite with Scala

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 4:56 PM, Stephen Boesch <[hidden email]> wrote:

I kind of second Nikita:  no problem to use Ignite API's from scala.  And I do not second Konstantin.  If he likes java better than scala that's his issue.


To me, there is no issue in using the Ignite Java APIs from Scala as is. However, they may not be very Scala idiomatic. I believe Nikita is asking whether we can make the Ignite Scala API more Scala idiomatic.

Nikita: my first observation is that wrapping everything in scalar(CONFIG_FILE) { } blocks is not something that is very "functional". For example, what is the return value of the scalar(CONFIG) {} block?

Thanks,
Ognen