IGNITE-3180 : please add support for median, stddev, var in Ignite SQL

maheshkr76private maheshkr76private

IGNITE-3180 : please add support for median, stddev, var in Ignite SQL

Looks like these are not supported currently, please add them in Ignite 2.8

stephendarlington stephendarlington

Re: IGNITE-3180 : please add support for median, stddev, var in Ignite SQL

The weird thing about this is that the documentation says they do exist: https://apacheignite-sql.readme.io/docs/aggregate-functions

(They don’t.)

At the very least we need to update the documentation.

Regards,
Stephen

On 30 Jan 2019, at 09:38, mahesh76private <[hidden email]> wrote:

Looks like these are not supported currently, please add them in Ignite 2.8

maheshkr76private maheshkr76private

Re: IGNITE-3180 : please add support for median, stddev, var in Ignite SQL

The simple usecase is as follows

In big data visualization, for drawing graphs, one needs to know the
standard characteristics of a measure column (numeric column) to draw and
plan out graphs.

ideally, we need to this support in Ignite itself so that client code does
not pull large columns (running in millions) to calculate the metric such as
var, std, median, etc

Re: IGNITE-3180 : please add support for median, stddev, var in Ignite SQL

Hello!

As far as my understanding goes, it's a very non-trivial thing to calculate median across nodes.
You end up needing to pull all the data in one place or use some complicated iterative approach.

Same thing probably applies to std, though there might be shortcuts. Still it's not as easy as just implementing collocated algorithm.

Denis, should we probably delist aggregate functions that aren't supported?

ср, 30 янв. 2019 г. в 13:25, mahesh76private <[hidden email]>:
The simple usecase is as follows

In big data visualization, for drawing graphs, one needs to know the
standard characteristics of a measure column (numeric column) to draw and
plan out graphs.

ideally, we need to this support in Ignite itself so that client code does
not pull large columns (running in millions) to calculate the metric such as
var, std, median, etc

zaleslaw zaleslaw

Re: IGNITE-3180 : please add support for median, stddev, var in Ignite SQL

Are you ready to use them as a part of Ignite ML functions (part of stat or
math package?) or you need in SQL only?

maheshkr76private maheshkr76private

Re: IGNITE-3180 : please add support for median, stddev, var in Ignite SQL

SQL.
Two usecases - Big, Data, visualizations with databases,  and sheets that
shows large tables, where is sure wants to get some quick metric
Variance and STDDev is should be good...

ML side
Dataset class already exposes these right ?... We are okay there for now.