Exporter usage of Ignite 2.8.0

Kamlesh Joshi Kamlesh Joshi

Exporter usage of Ignite 2.8.0

Hi Team,

Can you help how to use inbuilt exporter for Ignite 2.8.0. I read it in release notes that ‘Added monitoring API - an exporter of Ignite metrics to external recipients’.

Do we have to manually expose these exporters on some port ? Or are they exposed on any default port ? So that these exporters then can directly be consumed by Prometheus.

Thanks and Regards,

Kamlesh Joshi

"Confidentiality Warning: This message and any attachments are intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s), are confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, re-transmission, conversion to hard copy, copying, circulation or other use of this message and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return email and delete this message and any attachments from your system.

Virus Warning: Although the company has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email. The company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachment."

akurbanov akurbanov

Re: Exporter usage of Ignite 2.8.0

Hello,

Unfortunately, the documentation is not available yet on the website, but
you can use
org.apache.ignite.spi.metric.opencensus.OpenCensusMetricExporterSpi that
comes with ignite-opencensus in distribution:
$IGNITE_HOME/libs/optional/ignite-opencensus.

The metric exporter should be registered in IgniteConfiguration, please see
the Java example:
https://github.com/nizhikov/ignite/blob/b362cfad309ec8f31c6cba172391c74589c9191f/modules/opencensus/src/test/java/org/apache/ignite/internal/processors/monitoring/opencensus/OpenCensusMetricExporterSpiTest.java

Prometeus:
https://opencensus.io/exporters/supported-exporters/java/prometheus/
Documentation waiting list:
http://apache-ignite-developers.2346864.n4.nabble.com/Ignite-2-8-documentation-td46008.html
IEP 35:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=112820392&src=sidebar

Best regards,
Anton

Re: Exporter usage of Ignite 2.8.0

Kamlesh, Anton,

There are documentation pages that should answer your questions:

Just in case, looping in Nikolay who is a primary contributor to the feature.

-
Denis

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 4:02 AM Kamlesh Joshi <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

RE: [External]Re: Exporter usage of Ignite 2.8.0

Thanks for the update Anton.

Have some queries as below:

1.       How do we feed the Ignite cluster data which is exposed on JMX port to custom exporter given on (https://opencensus.io/exporters/supported-exporters/java/prometheus/) ?

2.       If we move opencensus lib to $IGNITE_HOME/libs/ will it be exposed on some default port (likewise ignite-rest)? How does exactly opencensus will affect the cluster?

Thanks and Regards,

Kamlesh Joshi

Nikolay Izhikov Nikolay Izhikov

Re: [External]Re: Exporter usage of Ignite 2.8.0

Hello, Kamlesh!

Thanks for trying out open census integration.
You can find self-explained example in Ignite sources [1].

To integrate with prometheus you have:

1. Enable `ignite-opencensus`.
2. Configure opencensus exporter in IgniteConfiguration:

```
        OpenCensusMetricExporterSpi openCensusMetricExporterSpi = new OpenCensusMetricExporterSpi();

        // Metrics written to the collector each 1 second.
        openCensusMetricExporterSpi.setPeriod(PERIOD);

        cfg.setMetricExporterSpi(openCensusMetricExporterSpi);
```

3. Enable opencensus http server(after it you can view metrics values with the <a href="http://HOST:PORT/">http://HOST:PORT/ URL):

```
        // Setting up prometheus stats collector.
        PrometheusStatsCollector.createAndRegister();

        // Setting up HTTP server that would serve http://localhost:8080 requests.
        HTTPServer srv = new HTTPServer(HOST, PORT, true);
```

4. Grab metrics values in the prometheus:

prometheus.yml

```
scrape_configs:
  - job_name: ‘ignite'
    static_configs:
      - targets: [‘localhost:8080’] # - same host and port as at step 3.
```

[1] https://github.com/apache/ignite/blob/master/examples/src/main/java/org/apache/ignite/examples/opencensus/OpenCensusMetricsExporterExample.java