Confusion about how to connect to Kubernetes cluster remotely from client app

camer314 camer314

Confusion about how to connect to Kubernetes cluster remotely from client app

I am new to Ignite and am struggling to figure out how to connect my client
application to my Ignite cluster hosted in Azure Kubernetes.

Effectively I want to remotely connect, that is, I dont want my client
machine to be in the topology, its probably not even in the same country, I
would like to connect (C# or REST) to an Ignite cluster and use both the
cache and compute features. It would seem the only way to do this is via the
'thin client' which does not support compute?

I have heard of 'thick client' nodes which offer full API support but I am
not sure what the requirements are for those.

So my question is, if i have a C# desktop application (or any other piece of
code) which i want to connect remotely to a Ignite cluster, like Azure
Kubernetes, to perform cache/compute and without participating in the
cluster, how can i do that? Is it possible?

Re: Confusion about how to connect to Kubernetes cluster remotely from client app

Hello!

Well, you have a multitude of options here:

Thick client is not recommended since it is a part of topology and it may suffer in case your desktop becomes disconnected, for example.

You can use REST all right. REST can execute services' methods, and you can write services to do anything that you need.

Then, you can use thin client, or you can roll out your own API on top of Apache Ignite to be served from client or server nodes in the cluster and do whatever operations are necessary.

вт, 12 нояб. 2019 г. в 11:07, camer314 <[hidden email]>:
I am new to Ignite and am struggling to figure out how to connect my client
application to my Ignite cluster hosted in Azure Kubernetes.

Effectively I want to remotely connect, that is, I dont want my client
machine to be in the topology, its probably not even in the same country, I
would like to connect (C# or REST) to an Ignite cluster and use both the
cache and compute features. It would seem the only way to do this is via the
'thin client' which does not support compute?

I have heard of 'thick client' nodes which offer full API support but I am
not sure what the requirements are for those.

So my question is, if i have a C# desktop application (or any other piece of
code) which i want to connect remotely to a Ignite cluster, like Azure
Kubernetes, to perform cache/compute and without participating in the
cluster, how can i do that? Is it possible?

camer314 camer314

Re: Confusion about how to connect to Kubernetes cluster remotely from client app

Thanks Ilya,

Am i able to use the .NET API in this way? Connecting to a remote cluster?

I am finding the documentation of the configuration a little hard to
understand in regards to the options for connection. In the Kubernetes YAML
file I see ports for REST, SQL and thin clients, would you use the REST one
for C#?

You also mention I can use thin client, does that support compute?

REST is perhaps the cleanest solution for us.

Re: Confusion about how to connect to Kubernetes cluster remotely from client app

Hello!

You can surely use REST from .Net, but writing code for such use is left as exercise for reader.

You can also use .Net thin client, with API & description available in docs: