Client stuck on startup

VeenaMithare VeenaMithare

Client stuck on startup

This post was updated on .
HI ,

One of the clients on my windows box sometimes gets stuck up on startup ( I think these issues happen more with a restart i.e. there was a stop and start )  .
I see this in the thread dump of the client.

1. Not sure what those locked synchronizers in the thread dump below are  :

"main" #1 prio=5 os_prio=0 tid=0x0000000002c9c800 nid=0x4404 waiting on
condition [0x0000000002c8e000]
   java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (parking)
        at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
        - parking to wait for  <0x00000006fda12d20> (a
java.util.concurrent.CountDownLatch$Sync)
        at java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(LockSupport.java:175)
        at
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.parkAndCheckInterrupt(AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.java:836)
        at
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.doAcquireSharedInterruptibly(AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.java:997)
        at
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.acquireSharedInterruptibly(AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.java:1304)
        at java.util.concurrent.CountDownLatch.await(CountDownLatch.java:231)
        at
org.apache.ignite.spi.discovery.tcp.ClientImpl.spiStart(ClientImpl.java:312)
        at
org.apache.ignite.spi.discovery.tcp.TcpDiscoverySpi.spiStart(TcpDiscoverySpi.java:2099)
        at
org.apache.ignite.internal.managers.GridManagerAdapter.startSpi(GridManagerAdapter.java:299)
        at
org.apache.ignite.internal.managers.discovery.GridDiscoveryManager.start(GridDiscoveryManager.java:943)
        at
org.apache.ignite.internal.IgniteKernal.startManager(IgniteKernal.java:1960)
        at org.apache.ignite.internal.IgniteKernal.start(IgniteKernal.java:1276)
        at
org.apache.ignite.internal.IgnitionEx$IgniteNamedInstance.start0(IgnitionEx.java:2045)
        at
org.apache.ignite.internal.IgnitionEx$IgniteNamedInstance.start(IgnitionEx.java:1703)
        - locked <0x00000006db5ca060> (a
org.apache.ignite.internal.IgnitionEx$IgniteNamedInstance)
        at org.apache.ignite.internal.IgnitionEx.start0(IgnitionEx.java:1117)
        at org.apache.ignite.internal.IgnitionEx.start(IgnitionEx.java:637)
        at org.apache.ignite.internal.IgnitionEx.start(IgnitionEx.java:563)
        at org.apache.ignite.Ignition.start(Ignition.java:321)
        at
com.company.prophet.projectname.dao.projectnameClientUtil.startIgnite(projectnameClientUtil.java:168)
        at
com.company.prophet.projectname.dao.projectnameClientUtil.startIgniteForSingleOrBlueGreen(projectnameClientUtil.java:109)
        at
com.company.prophet.projectname.dao.projectnameClientUtil.startIgnite(projectnameClientUtil.java:84)
        at
com.company.prophet.projectname.dao.projectnameClient.start(projectnameClient.java:126)
        at
com.company.prophet.projectname.sync.main.Sync.startIgnite(Sync.java:264)
        at com.company.prophet.projectname.sync.main.Sync.start(Sync.java:133)
        at
com.company.prophet.milliways.shared.common.launcher.MilliwaysGenericLauncher.run(MilliwaysGenericLauncher.java:69)
        at
com.company.prophet.milliways.shared.common.launcher.MilliwaysGenericLauncher$1.run(MilliwaysGenericLauncher.java:150)
        at
com.company.prophet.milliways.shared.common.launcher.MilliwaysGenericLauncher.initService(MilliwaysGenericLauncher.java:120)
        at com.company.prophet.projectname.sync.main.Sync.main(Sync.java:108)

   Locked ownable synchronizers:
        - <0x00000006da73f540> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006da73f690> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006da84add8> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006da84aee0> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006da8825d8> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006da8c1198> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006da912440> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006da95eac0> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006da95eb98> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006daa93360> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006daa93470> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006dab3b070> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006dab3b0c0> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006daba1990> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006daba19e0> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006dabdb580> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006dabdb628> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006dac3df68> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006dac3e010> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006dad35b68> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006dadb0e88> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006dadb0f30> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006dadb1018> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006dae2e7c8> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006dae2e808> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006dae73b20> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006daeb57b8> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006daeb5870> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006daeb5928> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006daeb59e0> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006daeb5a98> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006daeb5b50> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)

client.txt
<http://apache-ignite-users.70518.x6.nabble.com/file/t2757/client.txt
server1.txt
<http://apache-ignite-users.70518.x6.nabble.com/file/t2757/server1.txt
server2.txt
<http://apache-ignite-users.70518.x6.nabble.com/file/t2757/server2.txt
server3.txt
<http://apache-ignite-users.70518.x6.nabble.com/file/t2757/server3.txt

Any pointers will be useful.

( Attached the thread dump of client and the 3 servers )

2. What happens to the ignite instance that the client starts when the client is shutdown by killing the process. ( ungraceful shutdown ) . Since this issue is seem more with a restart , could the synchronizers be related to the old ignite instances not being cleared ?

regards,
Veena.

Re: Client stuck on startup

Hello!

Are you sure that you really need a 1024 thread striped pool? What happens if it's only 16?

пн, 11 янв. 2021 г. в 17:55, VeenaMithare <[hidden email]>:
HI ,

One of the clients on my windows box sometimes gets stuck up on startup . I
see this in the thread dump of the client.

a. Not sure what those locked synchronizers are

[...]

This client is a sync which syncs around 1 million records from our old db to
ignite . When I start the application, it runs the initial sync and I need a
higher striped pool.  I think the client sees starvation in striped thread
pool  when I give a small thread pool. ( I dont have the logs for the lower
thread pool now. ).

Is the striped pool size linked to client startup issue ?

Re: Client stuck on startup

Hello!

I don't know since it's impossible to check thread dump with such a high number of threads. I suspect it's possible. I also don't see any log for client, only thread dump. Can you attach it as well?

Try to use some realistic value such as 64.

пн, 11 янв. 2021 г. в 18:44, VeenaMithare <[hidden email]>:
This client is a sync which syncs around 1 million records from our old db to
ignite . When I start the application, it runs the initial sync and I need a
higher striped pool.  I think the client sees starvation in striped thread
pool  when I give a small thread pool. ( I dont have the logs for the lower
thread pool now. ).

Is the striped pool size linked to client startup issue ?

VeenaMithare VeenaMithare

Re: Client stuck on startup

This post was updated on .
>>Try to use some realistic value such as 64.

I think it hadnt worked earlier - I will try again.
client-log.txt

Please find the client log file attached. I am seeing 'invoking shutdown
hook..' as an INFO in the startup logs.
Is that expected ?

regards,
Veena.

( uploaded the client-log again since it was missing a few logs earlier ) .

Re: Client stuck on startup

Hello!

Shutdown hook means that JVM decided to stop. Probably due to thread creation error if you ask me.

It seems that the node has never finished initialization, judging by that log.

<http://apache-ignite-users.70518.x6.nabble.com/file/t2757/client-log.txt

Please find the client log file attached. I am seeing 'invoking shutdown
hook..' as an INFO in the startup logs.
Is that expected ?

regards,
Veena.

VeenaMithare VeenaMithare

Re: Client stuck on startup

Okay, thanks Ilya .  After it gets this issue, the app doesnt startup till I
restart my server nodes.

Is there anyway I can ensure clean shutdown when I face issues like this  ?
It looks like some ignite state is not cleaned up .

regards,
Veena.

VeenaMithare VeenaMithare

Re: Client stuck on startup

a. If you see the thread dump, it shows these locked synchronizers
   Locked ownable synchronizers:
        - <0x00000006da73f540> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006da73f690> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006da84add8> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync)
        - <0x00000006da84aee0> (a

If the shutdown is clean, we dont see these locked synchronizers .

Looks like it has registered some state with the server before the shutdown
hook was invoked. Also this registered state is now preventing further
restarts .

b. Even though the log says 'invoking shutdown hook' , the jvm does not
shutdown - it is blocked on starting the ignite.

I will try and see if I can debug more.

Re: Client stuck on startup

Hello!

Please provide full thread dump from server nodes.

Of course, you will need to kill client JVM first.

ср, 13 янв. 2021 г. в 17:09, VeenaMithare <[hidden email]>:

[...]

Thread dump from the server nodes has been provided in the original post,

regards,
Veena

VeenaMithare VeenaMithare

Re: Client stuck on startup

I dont think the server dumps were taken after the client disconnected . They
were taken when the client was in the stuck  state.

VeenaMithare VeenaMithare

Re: Client stuck on startup

Let me debug this a bit more. Also I will try and capture another set of
thread dumps when this occurs again. This issue occurs on my windows machine
sometimes - doesnt happen all the time. I have not seen this on my linux
env. yet.