Can I use Ignite for my case?

James James

Can I use Ignite for my case?

I am searching one solution to my case.  I just found Apache Ignite
Yesterday. It appears a good solution. But I am not sure. I need your
suggestions.

My data is stored in MySQL. It is TB level. I like to do the following:
1. Load all data from MySQL into Ignite.
2. Run sql query to get all data to do some "group by" on number data to
calculate sum, avg, max, min etc.
3. If I need to do some complex math operation, I like ignite to provide
some stored procedure so I can run it on Ignite side.
4. I like to embed Ignite into my Java application.
5. I just want to use One server to achieve above goal.

Above is my fast solution I want. Later, I will add distributed
functionalities.

Thanks,

James

dsetrakyan dsetrakyan

Re: Can I use Ignite for my case?

Hi James,

My answers are inline...

On Sun, Sep 3, 2017 at 3:41 AM, James <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am searching one solution to my case.  I just found Apache Ignite
Yesterday. It appears a good solution. But I am not sure. I need your
suggestions.

My data is stored in MySQL. It is TB level. I like to do the following:
1. Load all data from MySQL into Ignite.

You should utilize IgniteDataStreamer [1] API to load data into Ignite.

2. Run sql query to get all data to do some "group by" on number data to
calculate sum, avg, max, min etc.

You can do it in Ignite the standard client-server way. However, Ignite is a distributed system and a much more performant way would be to send computations to the nodes where the data is and run your logic locally on those nodes. [2]

3. If I need to do some complex math operation, I like ignite to provide
some stored procedure so I can run it on Ignite side.

Ignite does not have stored procedures. Instead, you should use collocated computations. [2]

4. I like to embed Ignite into my Java application.

This is easy. Ignite has a very rich Java API and comes with many Java examples.

5. I just want to use One server to achieve above goal.

If you use just one server, then what would be the advantage over MySQL? Ignite brings the most value when you need to scale-out your application. I would consider at least 2 servers or more.

James James

Re: Can I use Ignite for my case?

First, I really appreciate a help from Dmitriy.

My company assigns me to work on a big product using Ignite. One node server
is standard and free to all customers. If customers want to use more server,
this product will add modules so the customers can  just pay it and use
multiple node computing. If I want to use Ignite for one node server, I want
to make sure the performance on one node server is little better than MySQL.

I just find Ignite this pass weekend. I need to finish one prototype this
week. Ignite is so big. I would appreciate it if you can provide me with
some solution for my following dummy question?

What is api for standard client-server? What is api to embed Ignite into my
Java application?

I like to get some databse sql query benchmarks  on ignite vs MySQL? Where
can I find a big database data?

Thanks,

James.

dsetrakyan dsetrakyan