Apache Ignite vs BI tools

awenclaw awenclaw

Apache Ignite vs BI tools

Hi!
I am new to Ignite and I am very interested into features it has. Especially I wander if there is possible to connect to it using any 3rd party BI tools (Qlik/Tableau/Microstrategy/...)? I know it has JDBC driver but I wander if there is BI tool that supports Ignite. I know that theoretically if given BI tool supports JDBC it also should support Ignite JDBC but I have just tried to connect to Ignite via Squirrel SQL-not a BI tool of course- and I receive some errors related to parsing example-cache.xml file (example configuration delivered with Ignite) by Squirell. I would like to avoid this with BI tools so the question is if there is any tool that you can recommend that was tested against Ignite and really work.

Additionally I heard about ongoing works on ODBC driver for Ignite and integration with Tableau (on Budapest Big Data conference). Could you elaborate a little on that?
I would be really interested in using Ignite as part of our Big Data ecosystem but to do that I need more information on its integration with enterprise grade BI tools.

Thanks in advance
Andrzej
Denis Magda Denis Magda

Re: Apache Ignite vs BI tools

Hi Andrzej,

Ignite is already integrated with Zeppelin
https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/data-analysis-with-apache-zeppelin
Probably Zeppelin can be considered as a BI tool but in any case it supports data anyalytics, visualization and discovery. So give a try and provide your feedback to the community.

There is a chance that Squirrel should work out-of-the-box with Ignite if setup both configurations properly. Share the stack trace you see here.

Next, I also heard regarding some work around Ignite and Tableau. Could anyone from the community clarify on this?

Finally, please properly subscribe to the user list (this way we will not have to manually approve your emails). All you need to do is send an email to “user-subscribe@ignite.apache.org” and follow simple instructions in the reply.

Igor Sapego Igor Sapego

Re: Apache Ignite vs BI tools

Hi Andrzej,

We are currently working on the ODBC driver for Ignite that will allow users to use even more BI tools.
In particular right now we are working on Tableu integration and it's going to be part of the 1.6 release.
You can find related ticket here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-1786.

Best Regards,
Igor

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 12:57 PM, Denis Magda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Andrzej,

Ignite is already integrated with Zeppelin
https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/data-analysis-with-apache-zeppelin
Probably Zeppelin can be considered as a BI tool but in any case it supports
data anyalytics, visualization and discovery. So give a try and provide your
feedback to the community.

There is a chance that Squirrel should work out-of-the-box with Ignite if
setup both configurations properly. Share the stack trace you see here.

Next, I also heard regarding some work around Ignite and Tableau. Could
anyone from the community clarify on this?

Finally, please properly subscribe to the user list (this way we will not
have to manually approve your emails). All you need to do is send an email
to “[hidden email]” and follow simple instructions in the
reply.

Dillip Sahoo Dillip Sahoo

Re: Apache Ignite vs BI tools

Hello Igor,
Along with ODBC driver in v1.6, is it also possible to put some video on Youtube explaining, how ODBC can be used along with few famous reporting tools in a stable manner. (something done by Gridgrain for Ignite with zeppelin integration).

I think you would be already testing many reporting tools on top of new ODBC driver.
How about recording the successful tests, putting some of that on Youtube?

If possible, a video starting steps on how to setup Ignite on Linux ending with reports running on Tableau. Sorry for asking too much.
But for sure, this will increase adaptability.

Thanks,
Dillip