Apache Ignite Clientside NearCache and Serverside Eviction blocking cluster

pvprsd pvprsd

Apache Ignite Clientside NearCache and Serverside Eviction blocking cluster

Hi All,

We have recently enabled Eviction on Ignite server nodes. We were using
ignite nearcache for ignite client nodes.

Due to nearcache, the server side cache-entries are not getting evicted.
Eventually this leads to off-cache full, and "Too many attempts to evict
data page" error and ignite cluster stopped responding. We have given enough
memory to ignite server nodes i.e. 4+4gb for heap and off-heap.

From debugging the server code, it looks like the near-cache enforces the
entries to maintain the client-node id; and due to this those entries are
not getting evicted from server.

When the clientside the entries got evicted (with clientside LRU eviction),
it seems the client-node reference in serverside entry is not getting
cleared. Hence after sometime it leads to ignite getting blocked. This is
consistently happening.

Either I am doing some thing wrong with the ignite configurations, OR there
is a bug in the ignite with this combination.

Can you please guide me, on how to find resolution to this problem.

Thanks,
Prasad

pvprsd pvprsd

Re: Apache Ignite Clientside NearCache and Serverside Eviction blocking cluster

Hi,

I have created a sample reproducer using examples files. I am using ignite
2.8.0 version.

Here I have updated server configurations in ExampleNodeStartup.java, and
client configurations in CacheClientBinaryPutGetExample.java files.

Server is configured with eviction-enabled, and client is configured with
near-cache. Client keeps adding more entries to the cache. Server stores all
the entries, and when memory utilization reached 90%, it should evict the
LRU entries from server cache in this use-case.

In 7-8 minutes, the server is not able to evict the data and showing the
warning "Too many failed attempts to evict page: 30".

I am attaching the updated files for your reference. Can you please review
and provide your recommendations.

Ignite_Blocker_Issue.zip
<http://apache-ignite-users.70518.x6.nabble.com/file/t3000/Ignite_Blocker_Issue.zip>

Thanks,
Prasad

pvprsd pvprsd

Re: Apache Ignite Clientside NearCache and Serverside Eviction blocking cluster

Hi,

Did anyone get a chance to look into this issue? Is this supported
configuration for ignite? As these 2 (clientside NearCache and serverside
eviction) are very common features, I am wondering many projects should be
using this combination.

Can this be reported as a defect for ignite, if there is no configuration
fix for this problem?

Many thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Prasad