Akka in/on Ignite

pgarg pgarg

Akka in/on Ignite

asked by philip andrew

I like Ignite, I like Akka.

Are there any examples or any suggested way to use Akka with or within Ignite? At least, to send and receive messages between Akka and Ignite.

Can Akka actors work within Ignite?

Clearly there is some overlap between Akka and Ignite, but they both have some different advantages.

-----
This post is migrated from now discontinued Apache Ignite forum at
http://apacheignite.readme.io/v1.0/discuss
pgarg pgarg

Re: Akka in/on Ignite

commented by vitaliy shopov

I think that there is great field for new integration. Don't wait, try and contribute by self!)

-----
This post is migrated from now discontinued Apache Ignite forum at
http://apacheignite.readme.io/v1.0/discuss
pgarg pgarg

Re: Akka in/on Ignite

commented by dmitriy setrakyan

Ignite and Akka can run side by side in the same process, so I don't see any technical reason why Akka actors model would not work with Ignite APIs.

However,there is some overlap between Akka distributed actors and Ignite distributed closures, so you will have to choose which one is more appropriate for your use case. But Ignite has lots of other functionality, like distributed caching, service grid, streaming, etc. which you can definitely take advantage of when used with Akka actors.

-----
This post is migrated from now discontinued Apache Ignite forum at
http://apacheignite.readme.io/v1.0/discuss
pgarg pgarg

Re: Akka in/on Ignite

commented by philip andrew

Yes I think there are a lot of people using or looking at using Akka, you could "onboard" those people onto the the Ignite cruise ship if there were a) some examples of Akka in Ignite b) Some Akka/Ignite starting demo project in the typesafe activator c) Maybe some Akka based library that allows a Akka programmer to use Ignite (call it AkkaIgnite at github?).

Also from a sales/marketing perspective, there are programmers in Java who are also doing cluster computing in the Docker world, Ansible, Puppet, CoreOS, etc all that stuff, articles directed at them using those cluster technology using Ignite for a practical purpose would gain attention as well. I guess this is going off topic, well I'm going to use Akka in Ignite anyways.

-----
pgarg pgarg

Re: Akka in/on Ignite

commented by dmitriy setrakyan

Ignite has an open ticket for integrating Ignite Streaming with Akka: IGNITE-532.

Would be great if anyone could contribute this.

-----